Located at the foot of the Vaudois Alps, the Bex salt mines receive many visitors each year seeking a unique Swiss experience, ideal for families.
The Bex Salt Mines are a vast labyrinth of galleries, shafts, stairs and halls stretching over more than 50 km. A tour of this fascinating underground world allows visitors to discover the most spectacular and characteristic elements of the various salt extraction techniques used in the Alps since 1684. After a film presentation, the miners’ train takes visitors to the heart of the salty mountain.
On the day of Sainte Barbe, the miners' patron saint, which is celebrated on December 5, a TrekkMines invites visitors to explore this labyrinth.
An exceptional journey to the land of white gold, which allows visitors to understand the important role salt has played as a source of income since Antiquity.
VISIT (Length : about two hours)
- April, May, September, October : two to four visits per day, from Tuesday to Sunday and on public holidays.
- June-August: four to ten visits per day, from Monday to Sunday.
- Open on Monday when public holiday.
- Open on week-ends in November and December : one to two visits per day.
- Open every day on Christmas time : one to two visits per day.
- Hire audio guides: available in French, German and English
- Book your place - highly recommended
- Pets not allowed
- Sports shoes and warm clothing are advisable : the temperature inside is 18°C throughout the year.
- The miners’ train and some galleries are accessible to visitors with disabilities (please advise in advance)
PARKING & RESTAURANT :
- Large free parking near the start, also for coaches
- Refreshments and a souvenir shop at the entrance of the Salt Mines
- Picnic area with tables and benches and a covered shelter for 30 people
Mines de Sel des Alpes
Route des Mines de Sel 55
The entered password does not match the confirmation
Your account has been created
Account recovery request has been submitted
Something went wrong, and your request couldn’t be processed
Thank you for verifying your account!
Your password has been changed
Terms and conditions
What if our personalised recommendations don’t suit you?
you can choose to base the recommendations displayed on your own requirements and interests.
Whether you’re looking for a solo adventure, family activities or a gourmet trip with your spouse, the suggestions made will be based on your own preferences.
You want to find out what the local tourist attractions are based on your current location?
You can use the map on each page to establish your location and find local points of interest.
So you’ll be able to explore the canton, region by region, select the places you’re going to visit along a planned route and get a quick idea of what a town has to offer you.
You want to make your own selection? Just store your top picks in favourites!
If you want to store your selection, print it, export it to your free smartphone app "Vaud:Guide” or share it with your friends, you'll can do all this with “Favourites”.
You want to share your wish list And your choices with your friends?